You drove all day in your car rental in Martinique, enjoy yourself tonight with a Punch coconut.
The coconut palm (Cocos nucifera) is a palm variety that reproduces easily because its roots (rootlets) bind anywhere ... The coconut is a fruit and it can be consumed in many ways.
In Martinique, we speak rather of coco and no coconuts. Widely used in food, nutritional value varies depending on the state of growth at the time of consumption. Fresh coconut contains a significant amount of fat, sugar and fiber. It is rich in potassium, iron and magnesium...
- Coconut water from the unripe coconut can be enjoyed for drinking. Besides, we always at the Fort de France market and sometimes sold on the beaches.
- Coconut milk is used to make desserts, ready meals or punches (see our recipe for Coconut Punch)
- The white coconut pulp from coconut cream which solidified during the growth of the fruit used to make cakes, ice cream and also coconut meat. This pulp is also used to produce coconut oil and cosmetics (soaps and sunscreens).
- The long leaves are used to make hats and roots can be used to prepare herbal teas...
Did you know?
- Coconut water is fresh water that the plant has stored in reserve in order to draw the nut elements necessary for growth.
- Coconut milk (or coconut juice) is a milky liquid prepared from the pulp of grated coconut.
The recipe for coconut punch to prepare in advance
Ingredients for 2 liters of coconut Punch
- 200 ml white rum (50/55 °)
- 300 ml coconut milk canned
- 150 ml of sweetened condensed milk
- 40 g of powdered cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1/2 pinch of ground nutmeg
In a saucepan, heat the condensed milk, coconut milk and cane sugar with the vanilla pod open in two. Mix well.
When the mixture became homogeneous, add spices.
Remove from heat and cool the mixture while stirring occasionally to prevent lumps.
When the mixture is cold, add the rum, stir well and bottle (preferably glass).
And now enjoy, but wait a few hours before returning your rental car!